My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Succession

One of my goals for the garden,
 has been to stagger my plantings of crops,
 to ensure I have produce over a longer period.

Although I haven't perfected it,
I am improving.
This lot of corn was planted at the beginning of January.
It is just starting to flower.
The two earlier plantings have cropped.
I am about to pull them out for some
Autumn/Winter plantings.

This net is over the latest lot of brassicas.
Broccoli and cauliflower,
interplanted with some fast growing
Chinese pak choy.

In the background, behind the pink cosmos,
is another lot of brassicas (broccoli) which
is about to flower.

I also have some beetroot and carrots in
and this week I will plant some more.

8 comments:

  1. Looks as if at least one of your garden figurines (in your Header photo) has been doing a bit of staggering too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had much luck with successive planting. I never seem to have the space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you have your crops covered. The critters have a field day with my veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same principles with ornamentals, succession planting keeps the interest in the garden at any point of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are too clever! Well done. After a couple more years maybe I'll manage the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i done better this year with successive planitngs but i have a lot to learn yet,i start to get over whelmed i don't even know why really,your garden looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is looking very green and lush; wish I could say the same! Great to see your veg doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good one Hazel!! I'm besieged by possums :(

    Brassica already...well done! Your garden looks loooovely

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...