My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Gourmet Veggies

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to eat less meat.  Well so far we have been doing very well.  We sometimes eat meat if we go out but the vast majority of our meals at home are vegetarian.  

But they are far from dull...check this one out!

Roast Pumpkin and Green Bean Salad


Ingredients:
1 kg pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2.5 cm cubes
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon ground cumin
200 g green beans, topped and tailed (these ones from the garden were a little big, so they were sliced)
100 g rocket
100 g fetta, cut into small cubes
3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted

Dressing
3 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon tamari (may substitute light soy)


  • Preheat oven to 200 deg C.
  • Place pumpkin in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with cumin and toss to combine.  Roast for 20 - 25 minutes, turning occasionally until pumpkin is soft and slightly darkened around the edges.
  • Place all ingredients for the dressing in a screw top jar and shake well.
  • Lightly steam or boil the beans (about 3 minutes).  Drain and place in iced water to stop cooking.
  • Place rocket on a platter, arrange pumpkin, fetta, green beans and toasted almonds on top. Pour dressing over.
  • Season with salt and freshly ground pepper if desired.
  • Serves 4



It is a delicious combination of 
flavours and textures.


13 comments:

  1. Yummo, I'll be saving that one :)One question, is it really 1 tablespoon of sesame oil? Only reason I ask is because sesame oil has such a strong flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that was supposed to be mmm not nmh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Lisa it was meant to be 1 tablespoon...but we didn't have any so left it out. It was still delish. I think that sounds a lot too...I would adjust it I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great. When the garden is as bountiful as yours, you shouldn't have too much trouble throwing together a meal like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks muchly Hazel. As it happened, I was looking for a different sort of salad for a gathering this weekend... tired of bringing the usual stuff. It will be named after you too - I know the recipe will be asked for. It looks so yummylicious :D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So thats where all Brewsters feathers have gone...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I still had beans. That looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. To make this distinctively "Hazel's Green Bean & Pumpkin salad" should we perhaps substitute hazelnuts for the almonds?
    I share your views on the meat - I like it, but could do without it. Veggies are nice in their own right, and should not be seen simply as an accompaniment to a meat dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm. I think I will try out the pumpkin roasted that way with the couple of small offering I got from the pumpkin patch this season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I, too, recognize Brewster's poor feathers...for art's sake however..a good cause. Love the recipe, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks yummy, can't wait to give this a try. Love your blog!
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hazel, that just looks blooming fabulous, I think we might have very similar food tastes, I always feel like eating the things that you post. I'd like to try this salad, and hopefully I will have lots of beans and rocket to make it with soon.

    And where's my pavlova?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...