My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Friday, May 6, 2011

Great pumpkin challenge - recipe #4

Recipe #4 - Pumpkin and Beetroot Patties

This recipe could be titled: 
How to get reluctant kids to eat veggies
These patties are delicious and crispy and colourful.

It is a super easy recipe adapted from one posted by Witches Kitchen.  
There is a link to the original post in the gadget in the side bar: Pumpkin and cheese patties.  
There are also a couple of new recipes in the gadget from other people.

You just grate some raw pumpkin and beetroot.
Add an equal amount of grated tasty cheese.
For each cup of this mix that you have, add: 
one egg and a heaped tablespoon of plain flour.
Salt and pepper
Mix well
Fry spoonfuls in oil.
Drain on kitchen paper and serve!



We simply ate them with a bit of tomato and lettuce between fresh bread.  
Because of the beetroot they were bright pink inside.

12 comments:

  1. My kind of recipe; quick, easy, looks delicious and from produce easily grown in the backyard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I'm always intrigued by what beetroot does to the insides considering what it does to the hands...

    I have a great beetroot and chickpea patty recipe. But no pumpKING..

    Will try it on the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh that sounds good. Will try it with my kids and let you know how I get along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this one a lot too - when you fry it, does it take a long time for the pumpkin and beetroot to cook through? I am a terrible fryer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't fry often either...Make sure the oil is hot before you add the mixture, I put it in egg rings and pushed it down, but I don't think that is necessary. I cooked them on a medium heat until they were brown and turned them over. I don't think the veggies have to 'cook' too much.

    Phoebe, I didn't like to be crass so I didn't add the warning I wanted to the post. I normally would warn people not to panic if they appear to have blood in their faeces or the toilet bowl next day....it's just the beetroot. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look like beef hamburgers served rare...

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yummmmmm can you please make some for me....?

    ReplyDelete
  8. mmm...that recipe sounds really yummy, might have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! They look amazing!!

    Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Same thought as Mark, they look like beef burgers. Imagine they tasted very different. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have lots of beetroot at the moment, and this is such a good riff on the original! And Ali, when it's grated, pumpkin takes no time to cook. I just pat them into reasonably thin patties and fry, just in a pan with a little oil, not deep fry or even shallow fry. Pumpkin and cheese patties have been one of our family favourites forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great! We will have to try them as beet is one of the crops we have on hand in our winter garden.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...