My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Monday, January 24, 2011

The cleverness of corn

I adore the way corn grows with each leaf uncurling from inside the last. 
 The bottom part of the leaves form part of the stalk making them very strong.



But I think the cleverness comes out when you water them.  
The water runs down each leaf to the next and then onto the soil around the roots.  The surface of each leaf becomes the catchment area and also forms part of a reticulated irrigation system.



8 comments:

  1. Wooh, I can't wait for the weather to warm up so that I can start the corn seeds... this time, perhaps with purple corn seeds I got from a Peruvian friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo you are a bugger! I am very envious of your corn, none of mine made it this/last year. I lurve fresh sweetcorn, hope you enjoy it very much lovely miss Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Ali, they don't have cobs yet...well a couple have some titchy ones. So I can't claim success and am not worthy of your envy yet either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love Corn, both the plant and the kernels :)

    I find them very ornamental too depending on the setting and association. We grow corn during the summer and incorporate on the tropical beds as they look so exotic, both the plain gree edible types and ornamental ones with colourful foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very observant - I'd never noticed that. We are confined to sweet corn from the freezer at the moment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK Hazel, now please write a post for us on The Holy Trinity aka The Three Sisters - corn, beans and squash. I'm off to remind myself of symbiotic relationships...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what a wonderful insight! And beautiful pictures! I'll be growing corn for the first time this year. Now I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...