Linguine with broad beans, bacon and thyme.
400 grams of broad beans in the pod.
1/2 red onion
3 cloves garlic
3-4 stalks parsley
8 sprigs thyme
200g rashers smoked bacon
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
small wedge parmesan cheese
Prepare broad beans:
- Bring large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil.
- Shell broad beans (you should end up with a cup full)
- Drop beans unto boiling water and cook for 2 minutes only.
- Remove the tough outer skin on the beans by gently squeezing.
- Set aside.
Prepare other ingredients:
- Peel and dice onion
- Peel and slice garlic
- Rinse the herbs, picking the leaves from the thyme.
- Cut bacon into strips.
- Cook linguine in large saucepan of boiling water until al dente
At the same time:
- Saute onion in oil over a low to medium heat until soft.
- Add bacon and garlic (stir to prevent sticking).
- Stir in thyme leaves.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
Put it together:
- Drain cooked linguine and return to hot saucepan.
- Tip in broad beans and shake to mix.
- Reheat onion and bacon mixture and tip over the pasta.
- Mix well and transfer to large serving bowl.
- Scatter with parsley and grated parmesan (about four tablespoons)
Serve and gobble!