My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Friday, October 29, 2010

Root stock take over


All of the new fruit trees I have planted here are dwarf varieties grafted onto full size root stock.  The root stock is chosen for the quality of its root growth and its resistance to disease and the grafted stock is chosen because of its fruiting abilities.  This means a compact tree with a vigorous and healthy root system and, hopefully, lots of fruit.  

When I was feeding and mulching the other day I noticed that the apricot tree had two different leaves on it.  The root stock had sprouted below the graft and if left, it would take over.  

I have since cut off the rogue foliage close to the stem and all should be well.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see that you have been busy whilst we were visiting an alternate paradise.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...