My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Life goes on.


What a lovely lot of rain we have had overnight and today. I can hear the creek flowing when I go outside and the tanks are full to the brim.

I wasn't sure whether to let the chooks out today because of the rain but they looked keen and I opened the door between showers. But then it began raining again they just hung around in the carport and pooped on the doormat (it does say Welcome...but that isn't what I had in mind)
That is, except for one of the refugees who found a dry place under the eaves to have a dust bath. I love the way they lay over and kick dust into the feathers on their bellies and under their wings. It looks like a blissful past time.

The barred leghorns are laying really well, considering it is Winter. They must be happy and they are certainly well fed. We have had two eggs every day for a week and three on one day (that is from only 3 hens).

I thought they may have been disturbed in someway by Lucy's demise yesterday or her absence in general, but we had another egg today and their behaviour was as normal. Well I suppose one of the good things about being a chook, other than dust baths, is being free from existential angst!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...