My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Hey! What's up?

I wrote about the difference between 
The bale of oaten hay has 
been eaten by the goats 
and the shed cleaned out since then.  

In preparation for Spring planting, 
I used the straw and goat manure 
as a top dressing for one of the vegetable beds.

And look what I got!


This is from seeds fallen from the oaten hay
...not seeds eaten by the goats.  
Goats have four stomachs 
and no seeds survive the process.  

Anyhow, I have an impromptu green manure crop, 
that I will allow to grow a few inches 
before digging it through the bed.  
More goodies for the veggies 
when they are planted.  

With grass straw, 
any seeds left means a crop of weeds 
so here is another good reason 
for feeding oaten hay to the goats.

So I think that is a 
win, win, 
win, win, 
win situation!

Why five 'wins'?

1.  goats get fed
2.  garden gets mulched
3.  green crop grows
4.  garden bed is doubly manured
5.  great veggies result

8 comments:

  1. Woo hooo! You were cleverer than you thought ;) Looks so vibrant in that light

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hazel perhaps we should help you to build that goat fence or 6 will read "goats get fed on great veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ever-positive attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goats have four stomachs! What about bee keeping with your worm box (yesterday's post)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hazel today at the produce barn I saw two little miniature goats priced at $1400 each!!! I was so tempted (before I saw the price tag) to take them home... very cute. And useful useful useful useful useful.

    Oh boy I am funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a result Hazel!

    And you learn something new everyday, I never knew before that goats have four stomachs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely... wins all around.
    Your headers are gorgeous - this one, spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...