My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Pumped and a little corny

I am pumped about my PUMPkin harvest.
Yesterday, I picked most of the pumpkins except for another six Queensland Blues which still have green vines.  I will let die off a bit more before I bring them in.  You will see that I have left long stalks on the pumpkins...these will dry off and seal fruit so that there is less chance of mildew.

I think they are just beautiful.



Pottimaron - Diggers heirloom variety
Queensland Blue
Butternut
This year I planted pumpkins and corn together...two of the three sisters.  I did plant some beans with them, but too late.  Next time I will definitely put all the three sisters together.  It was worth doing even with just two of them.  I had the best corn crop I have ever grown...at least two big cobs on each stalk, and the pumpkins did well too.

When I pulled them out their roots were entwined in a sisterly embrace.  Don't you love the cleverness of corn with its buttress roots to hold the stalk up.


 There were a few cobs that were past their best, but the chookies loved them.  Nothing goes to waste here!

17 comments:

  1. Wow Hazel what a great harvest..well done! I love the different colours and varieties. A lot of pumpkin soup and pumpkin scones on the way I think...you will have to ask the cook nicely! I think I will have to grow some next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Pumpkins..Have you tried all your varieties before? If not can you tell us about them as you eat them please(nice to have some different ones to try)I grew butternut(ours where not nice this year??)Jap and QLD blue(ours are still green too)wish they would move it along b4 Jack makes an appearence..I keep meaning to put the sisters together for a party and always forget the look lovely together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hazel, those pumpkins are just lovely......I still have my one green one...so your bountiful crop there just makes me smile...I would be so happy if that was my lot too.............well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your PUMPkinG pile looks like a Diggers display! Very posh!
    I am sitting at my desk at work craving sweet pumpkin soup now. Humph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I am soooo jealous. They look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great harvest Hazel! Besides the soup, scones and muffins that the Cook will make, tell her about this one: http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2011/03/pumpkin-spinach-and-feta-quiche-recipe.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, I am so envious! I got one measly, palm-sized butternut. One!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful harvest, Hazel. My pumpkins were decimated by the local rabbit population. This winter will be spent rabbit proofing the orchard and the vegetable garden.

    Damn those wascaly wabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have a great harvest going to try the three sisters next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very very impressive. I really need to put more effort into my vege garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooo jealous!! That's an awesome haul, congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow what a GORGEOUS harvest!! So so beautiful. Love a collection of pumpkins like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quince jelly photo showing the the jar design and the perfect transparent jelly.
    Great crop of pumpkins - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The colours are just gorgeous on you lovely harvest. Lucky Duck!
    I've been harvesting egg plants from someones else's hard labour at my Botanical Gardens Plot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My eyes almost popped out;-). What a wonderful pumpkin harvest and different variety too. You have extra for cinderella carriage. Still hoping to see if we are lucky even to harvest one pumpkin here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, there is no doubt about it: those squashes / pumpkins are objects of great beauty! And isn't it a shame that many people still think of a pumpkin as only something to carve into a Halloween lantern? They are actually very versatile veggies, and they keep for ages/ I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pumpkins look brilliant, well done. I've never had much luck with pumpkins. Your recipe post on pumpkin looks interesting too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...