My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Barrow loads of salad

Yesterday I planted up two old wheelbarrows with some 'salad mix'.  I used up the rest of my home-grown seedlings of red and green lettuce and added beetroot and raddish seeds.  If I keep them well watered and fed they should provide a delicious mix of cutting greens.

So they will look extra pretty I added a border of petunias.  The wheelbarrows are great, because I can move them around, into and out of sun depending on the day.
 
I also planted some petunias in this pot.  The sticks are to keep Mickey the cat from sleeping in the pot...or worse.  You know what cats like to do in fresh dirt.













As I write it is pouring rain outside.  It is a clear sign that the rain is heavy when it shows up in photos.  I won't have to water the pottager...or anything else today.  I am glad I already cut the grass!




I love this view down the drive even when it is raining.

9 comments:

  1. I do so love your idea of growing your salad mix in wheelbarrows so you can move them about. That's exactly what I need ... and I know where I can get a couple of old wheelbarrows.

    Your garden is looking terrific in the rain ... your potager is really looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, hope they overflow with abundance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good time to plant while it is raining. I went and put some more seeds in yesterday and hoping they sprout with this humid weather.

    The wheelbarrows are a great idea, I have a couple of old frames from ones, wonder if I can come up with something to use for the bowl part.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Hazel I love your place, how wonderful does it look in the rain... just gorgeous - I can't wait for my shed stay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, I always wanted a wheelbarrow to grow something on it. Double WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Barrow-loads of salad" -- now that's my type of salad! None of those namby-pamby little bags of pathetic leaves you get in the supermarket... The portability aspect of your plan is also appealing. I grow quite a few things in pots and often spend half the day shifting them around to follow the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too love your wheelbarrows of salad but your Pottager looks pathetic!
    Are you sure the photo of your garden is a recent one?
    Certainly not the typical Australian summer photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was lucky. The last gardener who lived here left the barrows. A special note to 'Anonymous'...I have seen your garden...it looks ordinary...you need to weed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo Anonymous, that's a bit harsh! I love Hazel's pottager and would love to have one of my own... and as for the weather, it's been raining for months here, some river rose three metres in 2 hours last night, we are turning into a wetlands!

    Don't you watch the news?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...