My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Berries' moving day.

Today I finally got around to moving the berries from my neighbour's garden to the berry house I made.  I am SO hoping they ARE raspberries.  My neighour wasn't living in her house when they  fruited last year.   They have sharp hairs (not prickles) up the stems and I notice that someone, probably the previous owner, has pruned them.  But I may be wrong and  I could be transplanting backberries or some other noxious weed.  Oh well, I like a bit of a mystery.



The chooks, as always are fascinated by everything I do and are never far away. A couple of the hens are becoming very brazen.  One had her eye on the slice I had for morning tea, climbed onto my knee  and tried to peck it out of my hand.



I also planted a red currant that I bought last Autumn which has been sitting in its pot.  It already has a lot of flowers.



It was great to be able to use some of my own compost around each of the canes.  It was full of worms of all sizes and some of them were very fat and big like this one.  A few unlucky worms went down the throats of the hens.  They have to peck and organise the worm so they can swallow it end first, whole, wriggling and still alive.  I wonder if it wriggles and jiggles inside them?

3 comments:

  1. THEY LOOK LIKE RASPBERRY CANES. GOOD LUCK WITH THEM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think they are raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really do appreciate your comments but they haven't helped much. They say exactly what I think...they look like raspberry canes...but they mightn't be.

    I have had a look on the net and raspberries sucker rather than spread like blackberries with canes.

    These canes definitely had suckered and were connected and sending out new underground shoots.

    So at this stage I am leaning towards them being raspberries.

    But we will all just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...