My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The brood house

Today I put together a little chicken shed that I bought off eBay months ago.  Now that I am further into my life here I realise I probably wouldn't have bought this little house (manufactured in China) now.  I probably would have had a go at building my own.  However, I did buy it, so I am going to use it.  

It is going to be the maternity home or, if necessary an isolation house for an unnecessarily broody girl.  It has a lift up roof on both the main part and the nest boxes.  It is now sited in a quiet corner behind the hen house, north facing and protected by the big loquat tree. It already has a fence on two sides and the shed wall at the back. I will put a fence on the fourth side to make a little outside run for Mum.  I can shut the door at the front to keep her safe from foxes at night.


I will wait a while to see if one of my girls goes properly broody and if not, I will try to buy a clucky hen from a nearby organic free range chicken farm.  I plan to put some of our eggs and some bought fertile eggs under the hen.


I am so in love with Brewster, I just had to post yet another photo.  I think he is the most handsome fellow.  I love the way he marshalls his girls and clucks to show them where the food is (as if they couldn't see it themselves).  I am not so enamored of his tendency to spring surprise sexual attacks on his hens...but I suppose that is the way of roosters.  Hopefully his efforts will result in fertile eggs which will be a cross between the two breeds.   I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I think I would be quite happy to be a chook on your farm....except that I know you would roast me and eat me for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookie I wouldn't eat you...I am only going to eat the boy chookies. The girls can live out a natural life here. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...