My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Monday, August 2, 2010

I've got worms!


I am pleased and excited to announce that I have worms! In the compost! It is interesting to see a compost heap go through its various stages of decomposition.

This particular compost was assembled at the end of May. It consisted mulched garden prunings, grass clippings, autumn leaves, piggy poo, a little chicken poop and some kitchen waste. The pile became hot really quickly and was steaming on the cold days. I turned it a few times to aerate it and kept it covered with cardboard. After a while it cooled down and then I went on holidays for a month.

It is now only about one third the size of the original pile and full of worms and other little beasties doing their work. I can't wait to use it when I replant the veggie garden in the spring.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear Hazel - excited about wriggly worms? I have been an admirer of your previous photos but worms, yuk! I think you have been in the garden too long!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...