My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Got eggplant?

I adapted this recipe from one I saw on the web.

Cut eggplant/aubergine lengthways into 1 cm (1/2 inch) slices
Saute in a lightly oiled pan until soft.
Put aside to cool.

Make the filling:

  • Feta cheese, some grated tasty, and parmesan.
  • A handful of sultanas soaked in some boiling water for ten minutes.
  • A handful of toasted pine nuts.
  • Some chopped mint and chives.
  • Two egg yolks.
  • Seasoning.


Mix ingredients well.

In an oven-proof dish pour some pasta sauce (I used some cooked tomatoes)

Place a heaped teaspoonful of filling onto eggplant slice and roll.
Place join side down in dish.
Repeat until all slices used.

Pour more sauce over the top.

Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake in a moderate oven until bubbling and golden.




I think the original recipe used ricotta, slivered almonds and currants.
I reckon olives would go well too
and next time I think I will put bread crumbs on the top,
with cheese on top of that.





10 comments:

  1. I have got some eggplants yah - seems that the rats don't like them!
    Your recipe sounds yummy, I think I will try it. HDW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see eggplant in my near future. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum looks and sounds delish Hazel.......I was searching the net for eggplant recipes this 'arvo as I was given a bag full of them.

    Now I know what we'll be having for dinner int he next day or two.

    Thanks,

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that sounds yum. Despite the early munching by the goats, my eggplants are coming along so I'll have to store this recipe in my memory for use in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks nice, hoping for an aubergeine (hehe I am British) harvest this year though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious. Aubergine is one of my favourite veg so it's nice to have a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have eggplant in the garden - they are the small skinny type though, so I will have to do some more tweaking to the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope to be able to try this later in the year, since I'm having a go with Aubergines for the first time in many years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious...now all I have to do is convince the husband that aubergines are good for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like it would be delicious. We have a couple of big ones ready to harvest, so maybe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...