My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Fat Fruit Friday #13 - A birth announcement

Hazel Dene is thrilled to announce the arrival of
- Grosse Lisse
the first tomato of the season
delivered safely by the Fat Fruit Greenhouse.
New sister for Capsicum and Chilli.


The facts are:
  • Two tomatoes were picked.
  • The larger one on the left was from the Fat Fruit Greenhouse the other out of the garden.
  • Both plants were grafted Grosse Lisse planted at the same time.
  • The Greenhouse delivered the larger fruit and the plant has lots more good sized fruit.
  • The plant in the garden, although coming a dead heat in the race for first fruit provided a smaller specimen AND has no other fruit set.


So the Green house wins...
AGAIN!


Broad Ripple tomatoes
More capsicums on the way
These seeds germinated in two days in the greenhouse!

9 comments:

  1. You are making me really want a greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for the greenhouse. Everything look very grand and you have many harvest to look forward too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the arrival of Gross Lisse, we also had a delivery here yesterday of our first tomatoe, maybe they can have a playdate in the future....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Miss Hazel, it sure is frisky around your place of late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my grosse are in the greenhouse also and they are mighty specimens..i have tomatoes all over the place..80% of the ones i planted from seed never came to fruition BUT i have had masses self seed all over the yard and they have done extremley well

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always jealous of your side of the world especially at this time on the calendar. We had a howling wind and some snow tonight.

    Congrats on the start of a successful growing season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, yesterday we had sex and today we have a birth. That's pretty guick work!

    BTW: Carbon footprint of old windmill: quite high, I imagine. Just consider the embedded emissions involved with making all that metal and transporting it out to the back of beyond...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is some big mamma of a tomato! Your veg is looking very tasty indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If feels like summer here right now, but sadly I still have about six months before I will have tomato season. I wish I could reach through my screen and snatch one of those tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...