Here are some interesting figures and statistics for your perusal
- Global Population, October 1 2011: 7 billion
- Australian population today (estimated by ABS): 22 .75 million
Some Australian Mining and business stats:
- Percentage of the total global mining resources located in Australia: 40 %
- Large (Australian) mining firms profit margins: 46.1%
- Large (total global) mining industry profit margins: 30%
- Second highest profit making category (large professional, scientific and technical services firms) profit margins: 24.6%
- Profit margin for large agricultural, forestry and fishing industries: 8.7%
- Profit margins for large retail firms: 3.9%
- Percentage of the Australian population employed in retail: 12%
- Percentage of Australians employed by mining companies: 1.3%
Mining profits (Australia) reported in 2010 - 2011 financial year:
- Fortescue Metals Group: $US1.022 billion (up 76% on previous year)
- BHP Billiton: $A22.46 billion (increase of 86% on previous year)
- BHP Billiton: in the global top 10 companies (ranked by profit).
- BHP Billiton: Only 6 other companies world wide have ever recorded a profit higher BHP Billiton last year.
Australia's richest - estimated net 'worth' February 2011:
- Gina Rinehart - $9 billion (trebled in last year - but she is only number 100 in the world)
- Andrew Twiggy Forrest - $6.9 billion.
- James Packer - $4.4 billion (going down...spending Daddy's money)
- Frank Lowy - $4.3 billion
- Harry Triguboff - $3.4 billion
- Net worth of Australia's richest 40 people rose by 40% in the past year to a combined wealth of $68.4 billion.
- Number of Americans living below the poverty line : 46 million
- Number of Americans living at 50% or less of the official poverty level: 20 million (7% of US pop)
- Estimated number of hungry people in the world in 2010: 925 million
- Percentage of hungry people world wide: 13.1% (1 in 7)
Sydney Morning Herald
Australian Bureau of statistics.
American Bureau of statistics (November 2011)
I could go on,
but I have to run off
and meet with my
(gardening, self sustaining,
frugal, recycling etc.)
blogging buddies at Heronswood.