My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The hen and the chopping block

I asked Jenny,
"Who will help me split this wood?"


"Not I!...Not I!"
she cackled as she wandered away.

"Then I will do it myself."
I said....and I did.


"Who will help me move and stack the wood?"
I asked.

"Not I!...Not I!"
bokked Jenny as she scratched for bugs.

"Then I will do it myself."
I said....and I did.

"Who will enjoy the fire with me?"
I wondered with the wood splitter in my hand,
and a menacing grin on my face.

"Not I!...Not I!"
she gasped, running quickly in the other direction.

Mmmmm!...Maybe she isn't
as silly as she first appears!




16 comments:

  1. Chicken minus fear of chopping block equals confidence plus or minus stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Hazel! Enjoy your day.
    Love your header clouds - fabulous!
    The hen and the chopping block sounds like a good story for a kids book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet chicken, what kind is she?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not just a pretty face that chicken!

    Hey, is it your birthday??!! Roast chicken for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday :D)
    Dramatic header photo!
    Jenny is a clever hen. She's also very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sky feels like its falling in here, I want some sun.......our chicken lickens are living in mud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hippy Birrrssday...thats Happy Birthday in Italian...have a fun day..xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol! And, a happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uber smart chick that Jenny!

    It's your birthday? Happy day Ms Hazel, cyber hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL!!!!!! You tell a wicked story Hazel! :)

    AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! May you have a wonderful year ahead filled with fruit, vegies, cackleberries and outdoor cooking xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must of been the perfect day for spliting wood, I did a whole heap too!
    Have a happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! ALthough I don't know how I know and I don't know how those people above me know, but someone does know, so happy birthday.

    And did you say fire? I am so there to share it with you...

    Was the new keyboard for your birthday?? But how are we going to know that it's you now?

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice cloud study....
    and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, Hazel. Hope you enjoyed the wood-smoked chicken supper...
    Your blogposts are often so full of significance and hidden meanings that I have to read them very carefully now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see shes keeping an eye on that block! Haha! Happy birthday from mr too. Hope you have a great day. Maa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...