My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Goat boy

The four year old farmer boy 
took the goats for a walk along the creek today.   



The goats stuck close to their herder, running when he did, stopping when he did, back tracking when he did, going down to the creek when he did...






It wasn't really clear who was keeping an eye who.




He helped feed the goats and put them in the shed.  Like a well trained boy from the bush, he made sure the chooks were in and the gate was shut.


I am not advocating child labour but it is easy to see how it is possible for children in many communities, through tradition, experience and need to take on such responsibilities at an early age.  

10 comments:

  1. That first photo is particularly beautiful. You must frame it for the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes I agree, I love a bit of child labour :) Children love being given responsibility (in my very humble opinion), and thrive on it.

    I am in love with your place Hazel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goats love a responsible goat-herd and what a great one they had.Kids need real responsibility to grow up responsible.
    Child labour? All in favour of it and the kids around here love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hazel this post is just gorgeous (as is the four year old) I can imagine a children's book "The Farmer Boy" even if you just produce one for your farmer boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God Julie, I'm here at work obviously not very busy reading your story. I have to hold back the tears...how adoreable!!!! You're a great photographer and couldn't have a cuter model. (except Spence of course, but really, what's the difference between the two??)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last comment if you didn't guess was, Michelle :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many kids that age would be terrified of goats. Like with most things in life I believe that children take their lead on matters like this from the adults around them: you obviously love the goats, so why should a 4-year-old see them as being threatening??
    Love the close-up of "The Beady Eye".
    P.S. the Mystery Object is about 30cm tall - keep guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goat boy will love animals oneday, that makes for a kinder person I think.Give him a hug for me.Beautiful photo's.
    My one grandson just loves animals too and helped bottle feed Daisy (goat)when she was little. And see his face when he's holding a chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. You must be so proud of him... and so you should.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...