My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Dogs and chooks.


It was with some trepidation that we considered having chooks because we were concerned that the dog may see them as take away. At first the dog was very interested in the chooks and the chooks were very nervous of the dog. We kept a fence between them for about a fortnight then introduced them with supervised visits. Now they are acclimatised and mostly ignore each other. However, when I tell the dog that I am going to put the chickens away, she is most excited and helps round them up and point them at the coop. We haven't worked out any commands, she just does what comes naturally.

It makes me feel like a real farmer even though I only have one third of an acre!

For those who don't know her, the dog was supposed to be a chihuahua x pomeranian. As you can see from the picture, a border collie probably got a look in somewhere too...so wrangling livestock comes naturally to her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...