My photo
Australia
I ran away from teaching to the country to grow veggies. There are also some chooks and a pair of troublesome goats who were so much trouble they had to go! My simple green life isn't always as simple or as green as I'd like...but I keep trying!

Friday, April 30, 2010

Autumn stages



Autumn is finished with the silver birch...
but only just beginning to paint the leaves of the maples.

Did you notice the king parrot lurking at the bottom of the maple tree picture?
Fabulous camouflage!

4 comments:

  1. Where is the king parrot going to lurk when all the autumn leaves have fallen.
    Had afternoon tea amongst a grove of silver birch today and their leaves were just starting to colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the length of the days that trigger the leaves to turn. Because we are in a valley, we don't get the sun until a while after sunrise and the opposite happens in the evening. This must result in the trees thinking the days are shorter and that it is later in Autumn than the ones where you had afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are right Hazel, I am still picking strawberries, zucchini and red peppers from my protected vegie garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever Hazel. I thought it was all in the cooling of the soil. Mother Nature sure did a good job in her camouflage . I really had to look for the King parrot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love messages so write as much or as little as your want.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...